Currently, the most frequently used FTP server by me in Linux is Pure-FTPd. It allows to use TLS encrypted connections. I thought it would be nice if I could link Pure-FTPd to my certificate signed by Let’s Encrypt. By default, the application does not have such a possibility, so I wrote a simple script that helps both projects work together.
I would like to invite you to a short description and download.
Since I often solve computer problems using my own hardware, I decided to buy the cheapest and smallest size USB devices to connect computers to LAN and WiFi networks. In this entry I will present what I bought and how it works (iperf3).
Continue reading “Cheap USB to LAN and WiFi”
I’ve been using Windows 10 for some time now, and despite the update I occasionally had a problem with the Start Menu. It just did not work sometimes. It turns out that one of the system’s services is responsible for this. In order to help other people with this problem, I present below a way to solve it.
1. Task Manager.2. Registry Editor.3. Change parameter.
Start by running the Task Manager. To do this, right-click on the clock located at the bottom right of the screen. Then select the Task Manager by clicking on it.
When the Task Manager is running, you must switch to the full information and function display mode by pressing on “More details”.
After this operation, the Task Manager will enable us to run a registry editor by using the File \ Run new task (left side of the top).
In the window that will appear, just type a regedit and press enter (or mouse click OK).
Then we have to find and change one of the entries. Expand the branch in the registry editor from the left panel:
We are interested in the value of the Start parameter placed in the right panel. To do this, double-click on the Start parameter, and in the window that shows you will change the value to 4, confirming by pressing OK.
Then close the registry editor and restart your computer. From now on, the Start Menu should work properly.
The moment has come when I had to purchase a new version of operating system – Windows 10 Pro (64-bit version) because of my work.
First impressions after installation:
– start up quickly
– seems to be more responsive
– after installing the system (from scratch) it has a lot of unnecessary programs (like games, spotify, onedrive)
– problems with the USB 3.0 controller from VIA (which I repaired manually by installing drivers for Windows 8.1)
– has installed drivers for the graphics card, sound, etc. by itself (comfortable)
– waits for an external USB drive to start during the start (better if it is working in the background)
– microphone boost does not work for a USB webcam with a built-in microphone (in Windows 7 worked without problem), here typically an error on the MS side that does not want to fix it (although it is more likely that it does not know how to fix it)
– built-in antivirus (but unfortunately quite slow, and broken down, after detecting the threat and pressing the action of repairing does nothing)
– the start menu did not work for a moment, after the installation of some update started.
In general, there are a few advantages and some disadvantages. Well somehow, unfortunately, we will have to move around. As for me, problems match the BETA version rather than the final product.
To the project section on the right I added a page devoted to the recently implemented idea. Namely, I decided to build a set of HiFi. But as it happens in life, the requirements did not match what I could meet on a typical consumer market. That’s why I decided to put together a set that suits my needs.
It is based on the Intel NUC platform (DC3217IYE) and the external audio interface E-MU 0404 USB.
I invite You to read.
I released new version of KIOSK generator for RHEL operating systems, like CentOS, Scientific Linux and similar. In newest version i’ve added comatibility with systems version 7, and i made Opera browser not to ask for license on first run.
New version is available here: http://www.marcinwilk.eu/lang/pl/projects/scientific-linux-and-centos-kiosk
Some time ago my friend had a new task of sharing (and control) computers in library. Computers are free to use for readers, and must give the possibility of using Internet network. My friend have found tutorials for Ubuntu. Because my favorite distros are Scientific Linux and CentOS i will show, how to do something similar for them.
Continue reading “Scientific Linux 6 & CentOS 6 KIOSK”
Today i have open my laptop, this is how it looks inside:
Computer have been precisely cleaned and checked, so it will work long and happy. I also recommend checking whole album where is more photos :)